Day 1: Arusha (1400m) - Miriakamba Hut (2500m)
- Duration: 5-7 hours of hiking
After an early morning breakfast in Arusha (1400m), you will be picked up from your hotel and brought to the Momella Gate in Arusha National Park. At this time, the porters will organize and pack the belongings for the hike while you and your guide register with the Tanzania National Park (TANAPA). You will then begin your ascent in Arusha National Park. The first day of hiking is similar to a walking safari; you should expect to see giraffes, zebras, antelope, buffalo, and potentially elephants near the trail. Due to the high possibility of spotting wildlife, an armed ranger, hired through the National Park, is required to hike with our team for the duration of the hike. As you continue hiking, you will pass the Ngarenanyuki River and a beautiful waterfall at the base of Mt. Meru. Upon arriving to Miriakamba Hut (2500m), your chef will prepare a hot dinner and washing water for you. Enjoy the beautiful sunset and overnight.
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2500m) - Saddle Hut (3500m)
- Duration: 3-5 hours of hiking
After breakfast, you will start ascending up the steep trail along the ridge of the saddle. You may see various wildlife along the way! The trail has views of Mt. Meru Crater and the Ash Tray. When you arrive at camp, you have the option of hiking Little Mt. Meru (3820m) with your guide to further acclimate. You will be served an early dinner, so you can receive ample rest before your midnight summit attempt. Get to sleep by 1900!
Day 3: Saddle Hut (3500m) - Summit Attempt (4566m) - Arusha (1400m)
- Duration: 12-14 hours of hiking
Your guide will wake you at 00:30 for tea and biscuits. You will then begin your summit attempt at 1:30am. The trail starts off on a steep grade to Rhino Point (3800m) to Cobra Point (4350m). The last hour of the hike you will scamble on a rocky ridge between the crater and inner cliffs of Meru. You will reach the summit of Meru (4565m) at sunrise with spectacular views of Mt. Meru Ash Tray and Mt. Kilimanjaro. Enjoy your views then descend to Momella Gate and return to Arusha.
- Transfer to/from Arusha National Park
- Overnight stays in Mountain Huts
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- All Park fees
- Rescue fees
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Guides, Porters, cook salaries and park fees
- Large portions of fresh, healthy nutritious food
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Crisis management and safety procedures
- Fair and ethical treatment of porters
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in Arusha ( Can be arranged upon request )
- Tanzania Visa
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Meals not listed above
- Optional Tours (short safari after your climb etc)
Tip on Mountain Meru is recommended for group sharing as following:
- Guide $15 - $20/guide/day
- Cook $10 - $15/day
- Porters $8 - $10/porter/day.